Thursday, April 2, 2009

Papa Flay?

Dinner at my parents house again and another Bobby Flay recipe.  I  have never really gave much thought to his recipes. When you live in a apartment, grilling isn't an option. But since we have tried  a few of his recipes, wow, I can't believe how great every recipe is.
 All of Boy Gets Grill, recipes are simple, quick, easy and full of flavor. There is nothing vanilla about this cookbook. My parents have really enjoyed everything from this cookbook.   My dad even dubbed himself "Papa Flay!" He is the grill guru on his Green Egg Grill. This new recipe is my favorite. Yum!
Parmesan-Crusted Portobello Mushroom Caps
Boy Gets Grill 

Serves 4
1/3  cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 portobello mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed
olive oil
4 teaspoons white truffle oil or extra virgin olive oil

Heat your grill to medium-high
Combine the Parmesan and thyme in a small bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. ( I thought this was much to much salt for me, so taste it as you go) Brush the mushrooms on both sides with oil and season with salt and pepper.  Place the mushrooms upside down on the grill (cap up) and cook until golden, 5 to 6  minutes. Turn the mushrooms over and continue grilling until cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes more.  When the mushrooms are cooked through, without removing  the  them from the grill carefully divide the cheese mixture among the mushrooms. Cover the grill and and cook just until the cheese  has melted, about 30 seconds.  Remove to a platter and drizzle 1 teaspoon truffle oil over each mushroom. Serve immediately. 
Yum!  

p.s. what will you eat if I eat all of these mushrooms?  


2 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow Kate, this blog is so adorable, it's just...well you. And I can totally see your dad calling himself "Papa Flay". I can even picture the look on his face when he said it. That's priceless. Tahnks for sending me the link.

Josh said...

Ahem. Boy MEETS Grill. Maybe you should enlist the help of Mama Editor, not just Papa Flay!