Thursday, April 9, 2009

Passover Chroses



Passover is my favorite holiday... nothing ever changes except the location. The rituals, the traditions, the food... It is so good. This recipe comes from a very old, very stained cookbook from the Lafayette Sisterhood. My mom has a copy that my grandmother, Bubbe (with a recipe handwritten on the inside cover), gave her and I have my Bubbe's copy.


In my home this is a very treasured and very loved cookbook. When I was younger, grampa and I would get the mortar and pestle out and peel the apples together and hand grind the nuts, no food processesers allowed. Obviously that has changed. Happy Passover and next year in Jerusalem!







1 Granny Smith Apple, peeled
1 Braburn Apple, peeled
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 tea cinnamon
1/4 to 1/3 cup honey
Manichevitz wine
1 lemon, juiced

Peel the apples and slice them in to 5 or 6 pieces. In a small bowl, add together the apples and 1/2 of the lemon juice with warm water. This will keep the apples from browning. Let it sit for 10 minutes or more. In a food processor chop the apple pieces into small bits. Do not let the apples become soft or applesaucy. Mix together the apples, walnuts, and the remainder of lemon juice to taste. Add in cinnamon and mix well. Stir in the wine and honey- all to taste. This gets better the longer it sits in the refrigerator. Enjoy!

1 comments:

Irene said...

Happy Passover! Thank you for the recipe, I'm always happy to add more to my Pesach file! Although, I was just telling my mom - Passover is supposed to be a time of self-denial, and all we are doing is eating, eating and eating! :)