Monday, June 15, 2009

Classic Feel (Me) Better Food




Homemade chicken soup!   One of the only foods that helps me when I am under the weather or just tired and sick of everything. I think my impending vacation has me feeling just sick and tired of the same old thing, even if most of the time I like (work) it.  I do like making my own broth, but pre-made is ok too.
Serves 4-6 large servings.  
4 large chicken thighs, boneless and skinless and sliced into big bite size pieces
5 large carrots, cut into long diagonal slices
2 large onions, large chunks
3-4 boxes of  Kitchen Basics chicken stock
salt
1 tablespoon butter
pepper
1 garlic clove,  minced
olive oil
parsley


On a cookie sheet covered with foil, toss chicken with salt, pepper, and olive oil and bake for about 30 minutes at 350˚    Pour all chicken stock into a large soup pot and heat until you see small bubbles, turn to medium heat for   1/2 hours. Add in the carrots and onions, salt and pepper. Continue to cook for 1 hour to 1  1/2 hours and do not let the soup boil.  After 1  1/2 hours turn down to low for about 10 minutes and add in the chicken.  Cool and serve with parsley. This soup freezes well.

0 comments: