Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Klein Brot Haus












Today I decided to get out of Lafayette. I love living in Indiana, but Lafayette can get on my last nerve.  It is so ugly!  So I grabbed the camera and a cooler and hopped into my car. Destination...Brookston, Indiana. True small town and  main street is not more than 3 or 4 blocks long. My favorite place in Brookston, Klein Brot Haus Bakery. With sweets, treats, homemade soup and bread it is my favorite place to get lunch and pick up homemade bread and sweets. Today I picked up 2 loafs of challah and beef with vegetable soup. I also got a Texas brownie, a buttery croissant, and a pecan bar with coconut that didn't make it to the car. The soup and 1 loaf of challah have now taken up residence in my packed freezer.  Tonight I will make a challah grilled cheese and tomorrow, my favorite cinnamon, vanilla, french toast made with challah. Yum!

2 3/4" slices of challah
1 egg
1 tea cinnamon
1 pinch of salt
3 tea powdered sugar
1 tab unsalted butter
3 tea sugar
1 tea vanilla
1 1/2 cups milk

Mix together the cinnamon, egg, sugar, vanilla, and milk. Heat skillet at medium-high heat and melt butter.  Soak the 2 slices of challah, both sides, in the milk mixture and put into the hot skillet. The french toast needs around 2 minutes per side, until golden brown. Place on a plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Yum!

0 comments: