Friday, May 8, 2009

Mother's Day Shortcake- Twisted!










I love strawberries! It is one of my true fruit loves along with watermelon.  I have been working on this recipe for over a year, each time trying to perfect it. Guess what, perfection achieved! I have a "twisted" Strawberry Shortcake for mother's day!  I really think you will enjoy it. 
2 lb strawberries
2-3 tablespoons sugar
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 orange, zested and juiced
1 lime, zested and juiced
about 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 large handful of fresh mint, chopped with some on the stem for decoration
1 vanilla bean pound cake, or angel food cake

Add the zest and fruit juice to a large bowl.  Wash and slice the strawberries into 3-5 slices. If you have really great, sweet strawberries only add 1 tablespoon of sugar, if the strawberries are not so sweet, add all of the sugar.  Stir together lightly the fruit juice, zest, and sugar. Cover and set aside for about 1/2 to 1 hour.  The strawberries and all the fruit has such a bright, fresh, spicy, sweet smell. I have to keep myself away from the bowl, all I want to do is just stick my head into the bowl and take a whiff. Wow!
After the strawberries have had time to let the flavors meld, add about 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar, enough not to cover the strawberries and yet, enough to have a pool, a puddle of balsamic and fruit juice on the strawberries. Toss and set aside.  Slice the pound cake into 1 inch slices and place into a small dessert dish. Add the about 3/4 of the chopped mint to the strawberries and stir. Spoon the strawberries over the pound cake with some of the juice. Top the dish off with ice cream and then more strawberries. Sprinkle with some mint and enjoy!  Happy Mother's Day!

0 comments: