Friday, October 2, 2009

Traditional Jewish Foods

Now that the fast has past, let me introduce you to one of my all time favorite foods, Jewish noodle kugel!

I recommend filling belly with this delicious, rich, sweet and down right decadent kugel. This is one of my favorite noodle kugels. The recipe was given to me by a good friend, C.R. It is sweet and warm and so delicious.

Making traditional food like this brings me back to when I was young. This food is home-y traditional and it reminds me of so many other holidays before. I know you all get that I love to cook, but my heritage and my food are very intertwined in who I am as well as how I define myself.

I am a Jewish girl... these traditional foods and these Jewish traditions are part of my soul. Part of the crazy, yummy, delicious, decadent part of my DNA. This is a perfect make ahead dish.


Batter:
1
8 oz Cream Cheese, room temp
1 cup Sour Cream
4 Eggs, beaten
1 jar Apricot Jam, warmed

1 16 oz) pkg semi-broad Noodles

Topping:
1 cup crushed Cornflakes
⅓ stick Butter
Salt
Brown Sugar

Preheat the oven to 350° Boil and drain noodles and set aside. Divide the butter in half, melt one half and set the other piece aside for later. In a large bowl, cream together the cream cheese, ½ cup of melted butter, sour cream, and eggs. Spray the bottom and sides of pan with cooking spray. Place ½ of the noodles on the bottom and cover with ½ of the batter. Use ½ of the warmed apricot jam and spread the jam over the noodles and batter. Repeat with noodle, batter and jam. Crush the cornflakes and sprinkle them over the top, sprinkle some brown sugar over the cornflakes. Slice up the remaining butter and sprinkle on top of the kugel. Bake for 1 to 1½ hours- watch closely the last ½ hour. Serve hot!

Yields: 1 9x13" pan or 2 loaf pans. This can be reheated in the oven, covered with foil.

These are my grandmother's silver kugel servers.

This baked kugel is a messy dish and unlike lasagna, it will almost never stay in one piece.

1 comments:

Jessie said...

Hi Kate,

I'm so happy to find someone who loves kugel as much as I do! You've inspired me to make a dish of it this weekend (it's been way too long!).

Great to find your blog!

Jessie