Monday, August 17, 2009

Nantucket Day 1... Will Travel for Lobster

We made it to Nantucket! After hours traveling in a cab, a train, and then the nice big airplane, we had to endure 45 minutes of this 9 seater plane. It was not fun nor was did it give you the sense of calm comfort that I like to have when flying. As I mentioned, I am horribly claustrophobic... so knowing that i was going to get on this itty bitty baby of a plane, wow, this is the crazy stuff nightmares are born of; I had been made aware how small this plane would be weeks ago, so I had a lot to look forward too.

Of course, on a small plane like this the rules are different than a normal (large) plane. First they must know your weight, no lying about it! Also you are seated not with your travel partner, but by how they blance the weight. With my bag stored in the left wing, gripping tightly to my brown starbucks bag, my phone and my camera, I boarded this small, tight, itty bitty plane in tears and some hysterical breathing. I know that I am safer in the sky, most of the time, but that is not what gets me though wishing that we were able to get the hell of the little plane! I sat behind the pilot, and Josh sat in front, shotgun. In a last ditch effort, I handed Josh my camera, I knew I wouldn't be able to get any pictures taken since I was breathing into a paper bag, so this picture of Josh was taken by me after we landed and most people were off the plane.
We made it to the beautiful island of Nantucket and for the next few days this is where we are living, the Wild Rose Cottage. As the only one in my family who hasn't been here before, everyone has told me about what to expect, what they do everyday, etc. So let me tell you what is what... there is a small town with beautiful shops, the roads are a combination of paved, brick, cobblestone and dirt/sand. The roads and sidewalks are small and very uneven, you have to watch what you are walking on instead of looking around and seeing the sights, everyone has tripped a time or two. It is a larger island that I thought it would be, but everything here is very packed in, tightly. They have a very small year-round population, but a full high school. There are many beautiful beaches, each different from the next. Some have pebbly sand and others have soft, white-ish sand, all of the beaches I have been to have rocks and pebbles but no real shells have been see anywhere but the stores.

This is a picture taken from one of the beaches last year, the same beach we camped out on last night until dark, hoping to get more great pictures. I have been wanting to take pictures like this, but there were no clouds and I don't know what I got yet, I haven't been able to download all of my pictures yet. The one thing I have gotten alot of pictures of is ... wait for it... lobster!

A bad picture but great food! I will be home early on Tuesday, so be ready for lots more pictures and stories of me on the small plane, I still have to live through the return trip on anther itty bitty plane!

1 comments:

betty said...

Beautiful , yummy site-love the pictures! Thank you! Betty